Friday, October 17, 2008

Cool


“I picture my epitaph: "Here lies Paul Newman, who died a failure because his eyes turned brown".”
---Paul Newman: January 26, 1925- September 26, 2008

Actor, writer, director, humanitarian, entrepreneur, political activist father, and husband Paul Newman has died. It is believed he passed away from lung cancer in his home in Connecticutt. What a renaissance man he was. Concerned not only with the well being of his family (he was married to the fantastic actress Joanne Woodward) he co-founded Newman's Own...using his own face as the mark of his trade. Let's face it, his cold blue eyes sold many a picture!Newman's Own is a food company from which Newman donated all post-tax profits and royalties to charity.As of October 2008, these donations had exceeded US $250 million (!). I personally am a devotee to the fig-newmans.Since his death, his daughter Nell now is head of the business.
Activist that he was, in 1968 Newman was 19th on Richard Nixon's enemies list for his open support (tel. commercials included) of Eugene McCarthy. Newman was quoted once saying, "If you don't have enemies, you don't have character." What a character he was! Man I wish he could of been a great uncle of mine...
I grew up watching old films so inevitably, Jimmy Stewart...Katharine Hepburn...and Paul Newman were my original "stars".I believe the first movie I saw was also the first film between him and his wife Joanne, "A Long Hot Summer". If you haven't seen it and adore Tennessee Williams, then rent it. He is superb! What a legacy he has...and for so much of it to be available through film!

Well, I just found out today and was struck. Sorry for those who expect for me to dribble out Paris-what-not.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Fig-newmans!! Ha! I love you!
You're cool, too. A cool cat.