Tuesday, July 22, 2008

ONYX

"I've been 40 years discovering that the queen of all colors was black."
---Auguste Renoir [French painter, 1841 - 1919]

But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!!!
---Matthew 6:23(KJV) * (magnificent!)
Image via NY TIMES

-----------SO I guess I'm in a dark mood. Last evening I saw "The Dark Knight". Now I confess that I am not the biggest fan of "Spiderman" or "The Hulk" but if I may say so myself, this film was impeccable and deserving of an accolade or two! The direction,(Christopher Nolan) the set/set-locations,(Hong Kong,China!!)the actors...Heath Ledger's performance was hyped yes, but truly he gave what I think will be an iconic performance--insanity with brushes of humour throughout!...

Peter Travers, film critic for Rolling Stone stated this about the performance: "mad-crazy-blazing brilliant," Ledger takes the role to the shadows, where even what's comic is hardly a relief. No plastic mask for Ledger; his face is caked with moldy makeup that highlights the red scar of a grin, the grungy hair and the yellowing teeth of a hound fresh out of hell." ...the buzz is that it is oscar-worthy...over all a great film!

-----------Speaking of dark...black that is, I just purchased some Birks for life! (part desire, part functionality--I'll be strolling in a big city soon (PARIS!)and these shoes are made for walking! Here they are...I purchased the Birko-flor in what else, BLACK. Classic and simple.

***And for those of you who think that birkenstock's are for fuddy-duddies. Well, I fully acknowledge it!
I am the fuddiest of duddies. Found a pic of a fellow fuddy-duddy Maggie Gyllenhaal, actress of "Dark Knight" sportin' Birks. Hah! ;)

Something Delightful and not black :)


*MMM...I ate a "fuzz less peach", (a.k.a. nectarine!) yesterday. In fact, I ate two!

Nectarine and Prosciutto Pizza
(Adapted from Eating Well)

3 ounces shredded provolone cheese
1 ounce crumbled blue cheese
cornmeal for dusting
about 1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough (I used my favorite recipe)
3 tablespoons basil pesto
1/2 cup thinly sliced prosciutto
1 large ripe nectarine, pitted and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 450 with a pizza stone placed on the lowest rack.

In a medium bowl, toss together provolone and blue cheese.

Sprinkling enough cornmeal to slightly cover a pizza peel. Stretch and roll out dough to a rough 14" circle and transfer to the cornmeal-dusted peel.

Slide the crust onto the stone and cook until the bottom begins to crisp up, about 3 minutes. Carefully remove from the oven and place the crust, uncooked side down, onto a cutting board. Quickly spread pesto over the crust, leaving about a 1/2" border. Scatter three-fourths of the cheese mixture on top. Arrange the prosciutto slices and fruit on top - sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I swear Kately, you should be a writer. You're so entertaining, and you have the randomest things to say!
You are the fuddiest of duddies my dear...

Stephanie said...

I'm in agreement with Cynthia. Why don't you write a book about your experience in Paris next semester? I would read it.

I love birkenstocks! Although I don't own any, good choice. And that pizza looks tasty.